Safe Arrival/Report Student Absence
Good attendance patterns are an important factor in a student’s overall success at school.
Report your child’s absent
If your child is going to be absent, notify the school by 8:00 a.m. by:
- Call our school office: 604-270-2522 Extn 111
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Let your school know right away if there is a problem or concern. There are many ways we can work together to get attendance back on track or prevent an attendance problem from starting.
Did you know?
Key facts about school attendance:
- If your child is 20 minutes late every day, he/she will have missed 12 days of instruction by the end of the school year.
- If your child misses only two days of school per month, he/she will have missed one month’s worth of instruction by the end of
the school year.
- Students who are absent 15 days of school each year will have lost one year of instruction by the end of Grade 12.
- Students who attend school regularly tend to be more engaged in their learning, feel more connected to the school and have
better academic outcomes than students who miss a lot of schools.
Supporting good attendance
You can support good attendance at school by doing the following as a family:
- setting a regular bedtime and morning routine;
- getting clothes and backpacks ready the night before;
- encouraging a positive attitude about school;
- communicating regularly with your child’s teacher;
- talking with your child about his/her school day;
- taking part in school events and activities to show your child that you value school and education;
- planning vacations and appointments around the school schedule whenever possible; and
- Make sure your child goes to school unless he/she is truly sick.